BLACK BEAN STEW (2 generous portions plus leftovers)
Pairing: Dusi Model M Red
- 2 slices of bacon (or 2 tablespoons of bacon fat, olive oil, butter etc...)
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cut into 1 inch chunks (or breasts, or even leftover chicken, ham, lamb, duck, turkey, pork, beef, etc.. - Or, no meat at all)
- 1 green bell pepper (or red or yellow), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 15oz cans of black beans
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste if you have some
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock or water)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Open the Dusi Model M and pour yourself a glass.
2) If using bacon, chop into 1/2-1 inch pieces and saute over medium heat to render fat and crisp bacon to desired doneness, remove bacon and leave bacon fat in pan.
3) Brown chicken in bacon fat and remove from pan.
4) Lower heat to low and add onion, celery, and bell pepper to pan, along with a big pinch of salt and stir while scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan for about 2 minutes.
5) Add garlic and tomato paste and stir for about 30 seconds.
6) Add red wine and stock and scrape again. Turn heat up to medium high and reduce for about 5 minutes.
7) Return bacon, chicken and any juices that acquired to pan and cook until chicken is done. About 10-15 minutes.
8) Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chopped cilantro and/or parsley